Racing: Day Two

Once again, I woke up early and headed over to the course to weigh in. While I had to sort out some details regarding lanes and semifinal assignment, I eventually got word that I would be racing in the first of two semifinals.

Clearly, the stress of the previous day had taken its toll on my body. I weighed in at 57.8 kg (127.4lbs), a full pound lighter than yesterday and the lightest I've weighed in since high school (which was only from extreme dehydration).  Took it upon myself to have a giant breakfast after weigh in: a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, half an apple (bees were very interested in the other half), a bowl of yogurt with granola and a banana, and a large muffin. I washed it all down with a healthy dose of water.

The remnants of breakfast:

Lunch involved a large salad, with beans, corn, cucumber, homegrown tomatoes, and lettuce. I had had triscuits and toast with butter, plus lots of trail mix. (I love Trader Joes trail mix, which is precisely why I only buy it on rare occasions when I think I'm going to need some comfort food.)

After lunch, I headed over to the race course. It's much cooler today than yesterday,with intermittent showers. I did some calisthenics to warm up and, after discussing strategy with my coach, headed to launch my boat. This time, I remembered my hat, but forgot my socks. My feet are pretty blistered from walking in the heat and rowing sock-less, but I survived.

Lots of scrapes, at least for a non-runner:

My race went pretty well. I didn't make the final, and placed 6th of 7, but I felt like I deserved to compete in the race: I was very close to 4th and 5th, who had made it to the semifinal on more than just dumb luck. I have a lot to work on, but a lot of time to make improvements. This race gave me a good idea of what I need to work on.

I'm now done weighing in for several months, so I can eat just about anything. Unfortunately, I'm stuffed from all my eating this morning! I'm also used to how good my body feels when I fuel it properly, and I'm not sure I'm ready to give that up just yet.

I did walk in to town and got a donut at the local Tim Horton's, but it didn't even come close to the donuts of my childhood. I was also craving salty more than sweet, but didn't feel like committing to sitting and eating French fries, especially with the looming rain clouds.

Tomorrow morning, I race in the open weight women's quad, in which I am the smallest rower by 3.5 inches and 35 pounds. It should be a fun race, and I'm looking forward to the experience. Hopefully we qualify for the Sunday final!

Let me know what you think by leaving a comment or emailing me at piquantprose [at] gmail [dot] com.

Like what you read? Share it on Facebook, Twitter or GoogleBuzz using the buttons below!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think! Leave a comment or question below.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...