10.07.2011

Mondays

Mondays are by far my favorite day of the week. So while everybody else celebrates Friday, I'd like to give Monday a little bit of love.

I lucked out--I love my job(s).

I'm currently coaching two rowing teams--a junior girl's program (for high school students) and a master's men's program. I work 30-35 hours a week between the two programs, but have the middle of my day free to train, cook, clean, and catch up on wedding planning and the housing search.

The schedule is the biggest downside. With four early mornings and four late afternoons, finding time to eat dinner before I'm a total zombie can be a bit of a challenge. We're hoping to shorten my commute a bit with our own place.

Mostly, though, coaching is everything I could want in a job.

First of all, I have to be a jack-of-all-trades--politician, motivator, tactician, scientist, engineer, builder, improviser, safety advisor, public speaker and much, much more. It means I'm constantly learning, and forcing myself out of my comfort zone.

Second, I can inspire people to do incredible things. The examples are endless: The girl who couldn't run a mile a month ago, but this week ran 2 miles as part of the workout. The guys beat their 20 minute test speed on their thirty minute test--all because they believed in the training. The ones who have lost weight, and gained fitness, who touched their toes, or completed a squat. And in turn, it inspires me to do incredible things.

Third, it's hard work. School has rarely challenged me. Rowing taught me to work hard, and for that, I love rowing.

As a new coach, I'm definitely in over my head--who knew coaches used training plans? and did teambuilding exercises? and motivated athletes? Who knew motorboats were so difficult to start and maintain? And that rigging rowing boats was so complicated? So I have to work hard.

But the reward far surpasses the effort, and for that, I love Mondays.

What do you love about your job? Let me know by leaving a comment or emailing me at piquantprose [at] gmail [dot] com.

Like what you read? Share it on Facebook, Twitter or GoogleBuzz using the buttons below!

1 comment:

  1. You are very fortunate to love what you do. I'm definitely jealous!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think! Leave a comment or question below.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...