12.06.2010

Pumpkin Muffins: Take Three


A few weeks ago, I did a comparison of my original pumpkin muffin recipe and a new, low fat version. The low fat version blew the original recipe out of the water.. so much so that even if you were trying to gain weight, I'd recommend putting butter on the low fat version instead of eating the original.

The new recipe still wasn't perfect, though. It wasn't as tender as I'd like them, and still needed a little bit more oomph. In this iteration on the recipe, I've fixed the tenderness. I still need something to make the flavor out of this world amazing, but I think I trip to get more spices will help. (Right now I've only got cinnamon and nutmeg; I think I need some ginger.)


The changes: I replaced the white sugar with brown sugar; I added back in one more whole egg, replacing two egg whites; I used milk instead of carrots; and I decreased the baking time.

What I'd do next time: Use milk and carrots, but increase the amount of flour by .25 cup to compensate; bake at a lower temp for longer; add ginger to the spices.


Just tuning in? Check out the rest of the pumpkin muffin saga, including more recent recipes!

-----
Pumpkin Muffins
12 muffins





Ingredients:
2.25c all-purpose flour
0.75t baking soda
0.75t baking powder
1t salt

1T cinnamon
1.5t nutmeg

0.75c brown sugar
2 eggs
2 egg whites
0.5c milk
1 15oz. can pumpkin

Directions:
1. Preheat your oven to 350°F.
2. Mix flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg in a medium size mixing bowl.
3. Create a well in the center of the bowl and add pumpkin puree, sugar, egg, egg whites and carrot.
4. Stir gently until the mix is fairly homogenous.
5. Lightly grease a muffin tin, divide the batter evenly, and bake at 350°F for 25 minutes, or until the muffin tops spring back when you press lightly on them.
6. Cool slightly and enjoy!!

Notes:
- Don't use baking cups! These muffins are low enough in fat that they'll stick to the paper. (I discovered this during this round of baking.. because, as you can see, I did use baking cups.)


What recipes are you trying to perfect? How many iterations have you gone through? Leave a comment or email piquantprose [at] gmail [dot] com and let me know!

1 comment:

  1. Looking to sub GF flour into this.. Less healthy I’m sure, but also less deadly for me. I would probably just do the flour whole hog and do 1 1/4 c. King Arthur GF flour blend.. Think that would work?

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think! Leave a comment or question below.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...